Advance your craft with comprehensive FIU Beer Academy courses for beer enthusiasts and professionals. All Beer Academy courses are taught by industry experts in a face-to-face, hands-on environment.
Effective July 1, 2014, electronic copies of beer course lectures (PDF) will be included in the registration fee. Any issue with the materials should be directed to Professor Barry Gump, via e-mail email@example.com or by phone (305) 919-4536.
Early-bird pricing may be available. Parking is not included in this program.
Extract Brewing: Brewing Fundamentals
Recommended for anyone from novice to intermediate level home brewers.
- Learn about the extract brewing process from industry experts in a face-to-face hands-on setting
- You will be prepared to make evaluations, calculations, and choose ingredients
- Familiarize yourself with proper the brewing equipment
- 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Mini-Mash Brewing: Basics and Beyond
Step up from the basics. Recommended for novices to intermediate level home brewers.
- You will learn about the extract brewing and mini-mash process
- Get an overview of the different ingredients that can be used in beer making
- Learn about fermentations, legging, choosing equipment, and beer recipes
- 10 p.m. - 1 p.m.
All-Grain Brewing: Advancing from Malt Extract Brews
This course is designed for intermediate to advanced home brewers.
- Learn to craft your own beer with an all-grain system with a focus on malted grains
- The course provides a more controlled experience and freedom to customize your home brewing recipes
- 10:30 a.m - 3:30 p.m.
"This class was very informative and helped understand the brewing process. I had only brewed one batch before this class and it reinforced and helped with other knowledge. I would recommend this class to anyone starting out home brewing."
Charles Lamber - Extract Brewing: Brewing Fundamentals
"As a novice and never taking any kind of brewing class, this one was exceptional. The staff (Dr. Gump and Matt) that teaches is very patient and they explain everything in detail. There is an excitement in the room and everyone who attends the class is attending for the same reason."
» read more
Liana Ycikson - All-Grain Brewing: Advancing from Malt Extract
"I attended the 6/29/2013 class and was extremely pleased with the format of the class and the quality of the instructors."
» read more
Christopher Cardona - All-Grain Brewing: Advancing from Malt Extract Brews
"I highly recommend this class to anyone who has not brewed before. Extract brewing is the easiest brewing method, I found to get started with home brewing. The class instructors, Dr. Gump and Matt are a great resource and you will find that you will learn quite a bit even if you have never done this before."
» read more
Liana Ycikson - Extract Brewing: Brewing Fundamentals